Sports Writing (EFE).- The Spanish Rafael Nadal, who announced this Thursday that he will not participate in the next edition of the Roland Garros tournament, has also stated that his intention is that next year be his last year as a professional tennis player.
“It could be a goal to try to reach the end of the year and be able to play the Davis Cup. And try to face next year with guarantees. I think it will be my last year, ”Nadal said at the headquarters of his academy in Manacor.
“If I keep playing right now, I don’t think I’ll be able to be next year. I’m not going to Roland Garros, I won’t play these months, and my intention is that next year will be the last. Being able to play the tournaments that I want to say goodbye to those who have marked me, ”he said.
Nadal will not play at Roland Garros
The Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal has announced this Thursday that he will not participate in the next edition of the Roland Garros tournament, which is played between May 22 and June 11 and which he has won 14 times.
“The evolution of the injury I suffered in Australia has not gone as I would have liked. I’ve lost goals along the way, and Roland Garros becomes impossible. At this time, I will not be able to be at Roland Garros. With what that tournament is for me, you can imagine how difficult it is. I have no intention of continuing to play for the next few months, ”Nadal said at his Academy in Manacor.
Nadal suffers a psoas injury in his left leg and has not played in any tournament since he suffered the injury at the Australian Open in January. Since then he has given up every championship he initially envisioned.
The Spanish tennis player has only played four games so far in 2023. He played in the United Cup and lost the two matches he played, against the British Cameron Norrie and the Australian Alex de Miñaur.
Later, he went to the Australian Open and lost in the second round, injured. He beat Britain’s Jack Draper and lost to American Mackenzie McDonald.
The Spanish tennis player then announced the psoas injury and although he has started training on the court for a long time, he has not returned to a tournament since mid-January.
Nadal has missed the tour of the United States, the Masters 1,000 in Indian Wells and Miami and the land season, including the Masters 1,000 in Monte Carlo, the Conde de Godó tournament in Barcelona, the Masters 1,000 in Madrid and the one in Rome.